North Norfolk businesses best in county at paying their rates
- Credit: Colin Finch
A council which publicly shamed four of its members for failing to pay their council tax has emerged as the best in Norfolk at collecting business rates.
According to a table of council collection rates across Norfolk, North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) collected 99.3 per cent of business rates in the last financial year.
It was also second in the county for collection of council tax at 98.6 per cent.
The local authority credited easy payment methods, including ebilling and text message alerts, for helping residents to keep up to date with payments.
Last month NNDC revealed it took action against four of its councillors for non-payment of council tax - just months after they voted themselves a 23pc pay rise.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Wyndham Northam, NNDC's cabinet member for financial services, said: 'We do understand there are sometimes occasions when circumstances can change and paying council tax or business rates can drop down people's priority list.
'Paying rates and council tax is the right thing to do and is a legal requirement, so the fact NNDC, our businesses and our residents are up at the top of the league table is a super achievement.'
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub