Norfolk MPs lobby transport secretary for better rail
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith led a team of MPs at a meeting to lobby the new transport secretary for better rail services in the East of England.
The group, including Suffolk Coastal MP Therese Coffey and Ipswich MP Ben Gummer, met Patrick McLoughlin who replaced Justine Greening at the Department for Transport in the recent government reshuffle.
At the meeting yesterday they handed the East Anglian Rail Prospectus to him, a document setting out how the region's network should be upgraded.
Ms Smith said: 'We put the case for strategic investment in the East Anglia rail network over the long term.
'We believe that East Anglia faces a once-in-a-generation opportunity right now to boost rail services for passengers, businesses and our economy through the combination of the new Greater Anglia rail franchise and Network Rail's funding periods.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 6 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 9 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day