Musician Billy Bragg plays Norwich gig in support of city Labour general election candidates
- Credit: Steve Hunt
Labour activists and candidates had a break from canvassing when musician Billy Bragg headed to Norwich for a special concert.
The singer-songwriter performed at a gig in Norwich Arts Centre on Saturday night in support of the Norwich Labour Party.
Bragg, whose songs include Between The Wars, Levi Stubbs' Tears, A New England and Greetings To The New Brunette, has long been a supporter of left-wing politics.
In the 1980s, he was part of the Red Wedge collective, wwhich attempted to get young people interested in the politics of the Labour party.
Labour's Norwich North and South general election candidates Chris Jones and Clive Lewis took to Twitter after Saturday's gig to post photographs of themselves with the bard of Barking.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Jones tweeted: 'A massive thank you to the fantastic @billybragg for visiting us in Norwich and putting on a special show for our Norwich Labour activists.'
And Nelson Labour posted a photograph of Mr Lewis on stage with Bragg, along with the tweet: 'Huge thanks to @billybragg who visited Norwich to support @labourlewis and to treat @norwichlabour members to an amazing gig and memorable night.'
- 1 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 6 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 10 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
Other candidates in Norwich North are: Adrian Holmes (Green); Hugh Lanham (Liberal Democrat) Liam Matthews (Pirate Party UK); Chloe Smith (Conservative).
And other candidates in Norwich South are: Richard Bearman (Green); Lana Hempsall (Conservative) and James Wright (Liberal Democrat).