‘The whole town is celebrating’ - MP’s praise for King’s Lynn Town amid promotion joy
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn's mayor and MP have urged people to get behind Lynn Town and build momentum as the newly-promoted team prepares for its next challenge.
Just two weeks after Norwich City were promoted to the Premier League, King's Lynn Town came back from two goals behind to beat Warrington in extra time on Saturday, securing a spot in the National League North.
Ian Culverhouse's side clinched the 3-2 victory away, with Michael Gash scoring the winner with just five minutes remaining, with the 90 minutes having ended at 2-2.
It has sparked celebration in King's Lynn, with town mayor Nick Daubney saying he hoped people would get behind the team as they have in Norwich.
He said: "We have had really good news, everyone is absolutely thrilled. I know everybody I speak to is in Norwich and I know in King's Lynn everyone is so pleased too.
You may also want to watch:
"Even if you are not a major fan of football, it's a big part of the community.
"People really came together and supported Norwich and I really hope we see the same in King's Lynn, they really deserve it."
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Do you recognise this man?
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
And Henry Bellingham, MP for north west Norfolk, said the club had done the town proud.
"The whole town is celebrating," he said. "It's fantastic news. I'd like to give my absolute fulsome congratulations to the manager, the team - everyone who has been involved, it is a huge achievement."
He said there had been some people who were "not complimentary" at the start of the season, but said the players had proved their critics wrong.
And, looking forward, he said: "People are saying after this performance let's see more of it next year and maybe the Football League in five years. There are plenty of clubs that are smaller than Lynn. It's all very exciting."
Colin Manning, King's Lynn Borough councillor for Gayton and Grimston, said on Twitter it was a "brilliant result".
"Should be playing in front of large crowds at the Walks," he said. "Roll on August!"
And on Twitter, Brian Watkins, Liberal Democrat county councillor for Eaton, near Norwich, said it had been "quite a season" for football in Norfolk.
"NCFC promoted to the Premier League as champions, and more good news today. King's Lynn Town beat Warrington 3-2 in their super play-off final, and will play in National League North next season. Well done to the Linnets!"
For more, see the Sport section.