Liberal Democrat MP Norman Lamb secures talks with the Prime Minister to discuss cross-party health and care convention
- Credit: Polly Hancock
Theresa May has agreed to meet former health minister Norman Lamb to discuss his aim to create a cross-party health and care convention to find a solution the growing pressures on the system.
The Liberal Democrat won a question in the MP ballot which allowed him to publicly ask her to hear his case.
It comes after he launched a campaign of 23 MPs from across the political divide who say there is a recognition that the NHS and social care system is under 'unsustainable strain'.
Until now the government has rejected his call for the discussion, claiming it has given the NHS the £8bn it requested in the Five Year Forward View - although there is a dispute over whether the money has actually been made available.
Mr Lamb seized on the profile of a question to the Prime Minister telling the House of Commons: 'there are genuine and really serious concerns among staff across the NHS and the care system, and patients and their families, about the pressure that they are under'.
You may also want to watch:
'For that reason, MPs from her own party, from the Labour party and from my party have come together to call for the Government to establish an NHS and care convention to engage with the public, so that we can come up with a long-term settlement for the NHS and care. Would the Prime Minister be prepared to meet us to discuss it, so that she can hear our case?'
Mrs May answered that she 'recognise, obviously, the interest and the attention that the right honourable gentleman [Mr Lamb] has given to these issues - of course, he is a former Health Minister - and I would be happy to meet him and others, as he suggests.'
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 3 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 4 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 5 Photo shows car inches from knocking cyclist off road
- 6 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 10 Hotel's new pizza restaurant enjoys 'fantastic' first month