LABOUR CONFERENCE: Norfolk man’s view from behind Ed Miliband
- Credit: PA
Images of Norfolk Labour member Jono Read will be beamed across the country tonight after he was picked to sit behind the leader for his speech. He gives his verdict on Ed Milband's final speech before the election.
This wasn't just the leader of Labour Party speaking to Britain but a leader speaking as someone who could be Prime Minister in eight months time. I was delighted to be on stage for this final big conference speech before the General Election, and as a young voter in Norfolk I found so much resonated with me and my generation.
The ten year plan to build enough housing to ensure we can all have our own home to live in, a mansion tax to pay for more doctors and nurses so we can get to see an appointment within 48 hours, and a pledge to create a million new jobs in the green industry.
You may also want to watch:
University was the only option on the table when I finished sixth form so I'm encouraged to hear so much emphasis on good apprenticeships being promoted in schools too. Plus a stronger minimum wage and votes for young people too are all very positive measures.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Too many young people believe politics isn't for them but I believe Ed gets why they are so disenchanted with it. His plan will have a positive impact on their lives and show there is an alternative to this government that will work for the many.