Is this £7m Norwich building the best new car park in the country?
- Credit: Steve Adams
A £7m car park in Norwich is in the running to be named as the country's best new car park.
The 595-space Rose Lane car park - with its unusual facade full of holes - has been shortlisted in the British Parking Awards.
The Norwich City Council-owned car park has been put forward by Huber, the company which designed and built the five-storey structure in Mountergate.
Officially opened in May 2016 and project managed by NPS Norwich, the car park includes 36 disabled parking bays, racks inside and out for bicycles, new public toilets and recently installed electric charging points.
Bert Bremner, the council's cabinet member with responsibility for transport, said: 'We're very grateful to Huber for putting Rose Lane multi-storey car park forward for an award and really pleased to be shortlisted at this year's British Parking Awards.
You may also want to watch:
'Rose Lane is a very impressive modern car park. It's only a 10 minute walk on foot to the city centre and even less to the train station, Riverside and Castle Mall so it's ideally located for lots of different groups and car park users.'
Markus Lauble, managing director of Huber Car Park Systems, said: 'We're very excited to be in the running for the best new car park award – its bold architectural design and complex specification makes Rose Lane a truly outstanding car park project.
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
'We're thrilled that the panel of judges has shortlisted us for this prestigious award.'
Rose Lane will be up against car parks in Birmingham, Darlington, Leeds and Solihull, with the awards ceremony in London this Friday.
This is the second time a city car park has made the shortlist. St Andrews Car Park was named best new car park in the 2006 British Parking Rewards.
But the £9.3m car park, which opened in 2005, was then hit by a string of problems. Four years after it opened, cracks were discovered and props put in place.
Norwich City Council was then locked in talks for a number of years over a compensation settlement from the insurers of the company which built it.
The £1.1m of repairs finally started in 2015, with the space for shoppers at the multi-storey car park cut by as much as a third during months of work.
It reopened with 1,084 spaces last year.