Hotel, drive-through restaurants, pub and petrol station proposed for Postwick Hub
- Credit: Mike Page
A hotel, two drive-through restaurants, a pub and a petrol station could be built in the midst of the controversial Postwick Hub.
Preston-based consultants PWA Planning are drawing up plans, on behalf of Euro Garages, for a seven-and-a-half acre site to the east of Norwich, next to the A47 and A1042.
The site has previously being used as a vehicle compound and for huts for the workers who built the junction, which will also serve as the gateway to the Norwich Northern Distributor Road.
While a formal planning application has yet to be lodged with Broadland District Council, an exhibition showing the potential proposals will be at Postwick Village Hall from 5pm to 7pm today.
In documents submitted to Broadland District Council ahead of a planning application, the applicants say that access to the development would be from a new arm off the existing roundabout on the A1042 to the south of the site.
You may also want to watch:
They also state: 'It is considered that a development of this size and in this context, namely the surrounding road infrastructure works that have recently been put in place and nearby existing and planned business parks, would not give rise to significant effects by virtue of its size.
'The proposed development is likely to result in additional traffic during construction. However, this is not considered to be greater than any other urban development and may be controlled by appropriate conditions.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
'Vehicular access is anticipated to be from A1042 as part of the application. Traffic surveys will be undertaken to establish existing levels of traffic on the road network and compare them to anticipated generation and trip assignment from the proposed development.'
On community website Streetlife, people were sceptical about the need for the development and expressed concern over traffic.
One user commented: 'Why Postwick? There is already a hotel and restaurant there and a supermarket less then a mile away with petrol. No need for it'.
• What do you think? Write, giving full contact details to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email email@example.com