Holt Town Council show support for Carnival revival
- Credit: Eastern Counties Newspapers
The team reviving a north Norfolk town's carnival is determined to prove the doubters wrong and restore it to its former glory.
A fun day on August 14 at Holt will mark the return of the event to the town's social calendar for the first time in more than a decade.
Organisers Donna Phillips and Vicky Curle want to re-create the joys of the carnival for children in the town.
Despite struggling to raise funds and enlist support, with only six guests turning up for a fundraising ball in February, the two mums are full of 'can do' spirit as they finalise plans for the fun day.
Co-carnival committee chairman Mrs Phillips said: 'I have lived in Holt all my life and used to go to the carnival as a child. There needs to be something for children in the town and we want to build the event up year after year.
You may also want to watch:
'I have written to businesses and shops asking for support, but they seem to think we are going to fail. It has been a struggle finding committee members, but we are determined to get things done and prove the doubters wrong. Everyone is fully committed to produce the best event we can.'
Taking place at Holt playing field on Kelling Road from 12-4pm, the day will feature circus performers, a magic show, climbing wall, dance troupe and car boot sale.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
It is hoped to expand the carnival over time to stage a week-long series of events.
Holt Fit Club has donated £600 and the town council agreed to provide a further £350 at a meeting this week.
Cash was also raised with a raffle at Holt Christmas Lights, but Mrs Phillips and Mrs Curle have been using their own money to get the carnival off the ground.
Are you keen to see the carnival revived? Email firstname.lastname@example.org