Holiday park bid is tipped for go-ahead in Kessingland
Plans to build a multi-million pound holiday park at Kessingland, near Lowestoft, look set to be given the go-ahead next week.
The proposals, submitted by the Norfolk-based Beeston Group, are being recommended for approval by members of Waveney District Council's development control committee, which meets on Monday.
The company is looking to transform a vacant 28.5-acre site at The Hollies, off London Road – including the former London Boys children's camp – into a new eco-friendly holiday and leisure resort, offering luxury tents, holiday lodges and pitches for touring caravans. It has applied for permission to demolish a derelict building on the site and develop the surrounding land.
It also plans to put up four temporary buildings comprising two toilet blocks, a reception area and an office, a warden's caravan, a visitors' centre, picnic areas, and a coastal footpath and cycle path, with access to the beach.
The proposals from Beeston Group, which already runs several other campsites in Norfolk and Suffolk, have prompted some objections – including concerns raised by owners of caravans on the nearby Heathland Beach Caravan Park – over possible over-development of the site, loss of privacy, potential noise disruption and fears over traffic congestion.
You may also want to watch:
A report by planning officers, to be discussed on Monday, acknowledges that the site falls within the 'strategic gap' between Lowestoft and Kessingland and the key issue is the balance between the holiday park's impact on this area and the economic benefits it would bring.
The report recommends that the application be approved, subject to certain conditions being met.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault