Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
People who want to pay a tribute to loved ones on Gorleston seafront will face a one-off charge of £70.
Great Yarmouth Borough Council’s environment committee has agreed that flowers on Gorleston seafront will only be permitted to be left in vases fixed to the rear of the promenade’s benches.
The vases will be available at a cost of £70.
A report discussed by the committee said: “There have been several complaints received around the volume and condition of some of the items left on the benches.
“This is a sensitive area and the council only undertakes removal when necessary, although Health and Safety in relation to items left remains a challenge with glass vases, metal clips and sharp objects still being left as memorials.”
The decision process also clarified the council’s policy on dedication plaques for benches, which must be formally applied for and licensed by the authority for a renewable period of ten years.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 3 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 4 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 5 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 6 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 7 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field