Drivers warned Plumstead Road has shut for milestone bridge work on Norwich Northern Distributor Road
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Drivers have been reminded that a city road has shut because a bridge which will carry the Norwich Northern Distributor Road is having its main beams lifted into place.
Part of Plumstead Road closed in the early hours of this morning. That is so work on the bridge, which will carry the dual carriageway over Plumstead Road, can be done.
There are eight bridges on the 12.5- mile route, which will stretch from the A47 at Postwick to the A1067 at Fakenham Road, with six going over the dual carriageway, and two carrying the NDR where it crosses Plumstead Road and the Norwich to Sheringham railway.
Altogether 26 concrete beams will be lifted into place after being brought by road from Ireland.
The Plumstead Road closure, which had been postponed for a day because of last week's snow and wind, will be in place for three days.
You may also want to watch:
There is also the possibility that work will have to continue into Saturday.
During the closure of Plumstead Road, at peak hours a shuttle bus will operate from the Green, Thorpe End, to the temporary stop near the junction with Green Lane North.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 7 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
Drivers will still be able to get to Thorpe End, but a diversion will be via Woodside Road and Salhouse Road.
However, Anglian Water has also shut Plumstead Road East near Aerodrome Road, so council officers say that, if heading to the Plumsteads, it would make sense to use Salhouse Road from the ring road, otherwise the diversion goes in a large zig-zag, via St Williams Way and Thunder Lane for the Anglian Water closure, and then via Woodside and Salhouse roads for the NDR-related closure.