Council plans to clear the way for new sports hub in Cromer
An ambitious plan to create a new community sports hub in Cromer could be set move forward with a bid to buy a former golf practice ground on the edge of the town.
North Norfolk District Council leaders are set to consider the compulsory purchase of the site on Overstrand Road at a meeting on Monday.
Powerful cabinet members have been recommended to approve the purchase of the site, which would provide a base for Cromer Town and Cromer Youth football clubs.
The council announced a potential deal last week allowing the Cromer Town to remain at its Cabbell Park base for a further three years while the new sports facility is built – even if plans for a new £3.5m medical centre on its home ground are approved.
Now a report prepared for the cabinet makes clear that action is needed fast track the plans for the sports ground.
You may also want to watch:
It recommends earmarking £50,000 to prepare a planning application in support of the purchase of the site.
A survey carried out last year showed significant local support for basing the sports centre at the 15 acre site according to the authority.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
Corporate director Steve Blatch said: 'The council's intention has always been very clear and there is a demonstrated public preference for the Overstrand Road site to be used as a new sporting facility.'
The sports ground would include up to six pitches a clubhouse, changing room and car park.