Caroline Flack among a host of celebrities to brand end to refugee scheme ‘shameful’
- Credit: PA
Television presenter Caroline Flack is among a host of celebrities to have put her name to a letter calling on the prime minister not to end the Dubs scheme for vulnerable and lone child refugees.
The Norfolk star was among 200 well-known names to appear at the end of an open letter to Theresa May describing the decision as 'truly shameful'.
Artist Anthony Gormley, who lives in West Norfolk, Dr Who star and University of East Anglia graduate Matt Smith and Philip Pullman was born and bred in Norfolk, also signed the letter.
The scheme, named after its architect, Labour peer Lord Alf Dubs, will be capped once another 150 unaccompanied children are brought to Britain, on top of the 200 already in the UK, the government announced this week.
The letter, backed by Help Refugees and Citizen UK's Safe Passage programme, says it is 'completely unacceptable' to 'slam the door shut after just 350 children have reached safety'.
You may also want to watch:
'Lord Dubs was himself a child saved by Sir Nicholas Winton who rescued 669 children virtually single-handed,' it reads.
'It is embarrassing that the prime minister's entire government will not even manage to match the example set by her former constituent all those years ago, let alone the efforts of the Kindertransport movement of which he was a part which saved 10,000 children from the Nazis.'
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
There has been strong criticism of the government since it announced earlier this month that it will scrap the programme for resettling lone youngsters from mainland Europe to the UK.
Although the Government had not committed to any specific number, campaigners and opposition figures have previously called for 3,000 children to be given sanctuary.
A Home Office spokesman said: 'We are not giving up on vulnerable children who are fleeing conflict and danger.
'The reality is that just in the last two weeks more than 300 refugees have arrived in the UK and around half of these were children.
'It's also a fact that more than 8,000 children found shelter, security and safety in the UK in the last year.
'And it's a further fact that this Government is committed to resettling up to 3,000 vulnerable children and their families from the Mena (Middle East and North Africa) region and 20,000 Syrian refugees by the end of this parliament.
'These are the actions of a Government determined to help the most vulnerable.'
Below is the full list of celebrities to sign the letter
Anna Maxwell Martin
Ben Drew aka Plan B
Frank Cottrell Boyce
Helena Kennedy QC
Jon Courtenay Grimwood
Jonny Lee Miller
Lauren St John
Lucy Daniel Raby
Mary Kay Wilmers
Nicky Matthews Browne
Lord Richard Rogers of Riverside
Dr Rowan Williams