‘Large site’ could feature 900 new homes as part of mixed use development
- Credit: Archant
A country park, 900 new homes, a new school, shops and a retirement community could transform a number of arable fields near Lowestoft.
With more than 9,000 new homes and 5,000 new jobs proposed in the Waveney Local Plan, which looks set to be adopted on Wednesday, March 20, a mixed use development in the Carlton Colville and Gisleham areas of Lowestoft features.
The 'Strategy for the Lowestoft Area' has earmarked 135.6 acres (54.88ha) of land south of The Street in Carlton Colville and Gisleham for 'mixed use including residential development, primary school, country park, allotments and local shops.'
The local plan states: 'A development of 900 homes on this site provides the opportunity to deliver a new primary school in a more central location serving pupils in the south Lowestoft and Carlton Colville area.
'This will help reduce the need to travel to the existing Carlton Colville Primary School in the future.
'Additionally, the site provides an opportunity to deliver parking and drop-off space for parents at the existing Carlton Colville Primary School to relieve pressure on the existing streets around the school.
You may also want to watch:
'Parking could be shared with the proposed country park.
'This large site, which will likely be delivered by a number of developers, provides an opportunity to deliver a retirement community comprising a care home and/or a proportion of extra care/sheltered dwellings.'
- 1 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 4 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 5 Do you recognise this man?
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years