Liver group celebrates success of scanner at N&N
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of patients have benefitted from the fundraising activities of a Norfolk support group, which helped buy a new liver scanner for the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital two years ago.
The Norfolk and Norwich Liver Group raised £77,500 for the Fibroscan diagnostic equipment, of which £20,000 came from the Geoffrey Watling Charity. Last night the group received a presentation at the N&N on the Fibroscan, which has helped more than 1,000 patients since February 2012.
Bill Dingle, chairman of the Norfolk and Norwich Liver Group, said: 'It was a huge contribution towards the appeal. The total cost was £77,500 so £20,000 was a huge amount and a big help.'
The scanner has eliminated the need for some liver patients to have invasive and expensive liver biopsies. Instead, clinicians are able to use the non-invasive scanner in just 10 to 15 minutes to use ultrasound technology to find out how badly scarred and damaged a liver is.
Mr Dingle said: 'It means an awful lot to people if you go along and have something like that as opposed to a liver biopsy. It's a huge improvement and people have really appreciated it.'
You may also want to watch:
Martin Phillips, liver specialist at the N&N, added that there were only a handful of the scanners in the country when the liver group handed the equipment over.
'I have been here 11 years and the Fibroscan was a major step forward and it has been one of the most important breakthroughs for the whole of the population of Norfolk.'
- 1 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 2 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 3 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 4 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 8 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 9 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR