Launch of big campaign to build new health support centre in Halesworth
- Credit: Archant
A major campaign has been launched to raise £714,000 for an innovative new centre in Halesworth to provide information and support closer to home for people who have been diagnosed with cancer and other life-limiting illnesses.
Halesworth Community Nursing Care Fund (HCNCF) hopes to build the Information and Support Centre (ISC) on land next to Cutlers Hill Surgery in Halesworth.
The centre will offer a wide range of holistic services to patients from across north east Suffolk and south Norfolk, including help to understand a diagnosis, counselling, bereavement support, financial and benefits advice, wig fitting and complementary therapies such as acupuncture and massage.
At present around 50,000 people living in rural communities around Halesworth, Beccles, Bungay, Southwold, Leiston, Stradbroke, Framlingham and Saxmundham have to travel up to 30 miles to a major town to access help and support for life-limiting illnesses.
Ted Edwards, ISC chairman, said: 'Travelling long distances to existing facilities can be difficult for people who rely on public transport or particularly daunting for older drivers or anyone who is feeling vulnerable following their diagnosis or are unwell after treatment. That is why we are so keen to provide this vital support closer to people's homes at the time when they need it the most.
You may also want to watch:
'We are appealing for anyone who can help raise funds for this fantastic resource to get in touch and help turn our vision into a reality. Every penny really does count and will make a huge difference to hundreds of families.'
A variety of fundraising events has already been planned including sponsored bike rides, music events and race nights.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 4 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 6 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 7 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 8 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Shock as cleaner finds a snake in house
Alternatively people can support the campaign by sending a cheque made payable to HCNCF to Cutlers Hill Surgery, Bungay Road, Halesworth, by visiting www.halesworthhealth.org/information-and-support-centre and clicking on donations or by texting a donation amount and HISC68 to 70070.
Have you got a Halesworth story? Email email@example.com