Last chance to enter a team into the East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival
- Credit: Nick Butcher
With the entry deadline fast approaching, there is still time to enter a team into one of the region's most colourful festivals.
The spectacular East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival will be held at Oulton Broad on Sunday, May 14.
Already 20 teams from Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth and across the region have signed up and are eagerly anticipating a day of fun on the water in aid of East Coast Hospice (ECH).
The dragon boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided and each crew is guaranteed a minimum of three races. To take part in the dragon boat racing and help raise money for ECH, no previous experience is required, just plenty of team spirit and enthusiasm. The top fundraising crew for ECH will also receive a special prize meal at The Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft.
The teams entered so far represent a variety of different industries from across East Anglia.
You may also want to watch:
As well as the dragon boat racing, teams and supporters will be able to enjoy a variety of bankside entertainment including a funfair, bungee trampolines, inflatables, food stalls and a bar. Students from The Venue of Performing Arts will be performing some dance routines at the Bandstand at 11.30am, 1.30pm and 3pm and all eyes will turn skywards at about 12.50pm when a spitfire of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight is scheduled to be flying over the park – weather and operational restrictions permitting.
Visitors will be able to find out more about festival charity, East Coast Hospice and its aim to provide an independent local hospice serving the Waveney and Yarmouth area that will deliver expert medical care alongside compassion, dignity, love and peace for those with life-limiting conditions.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
Jeff Wood, ECH Community fundraiser, said: 'The festival is a wonderful day for colleagues to get together, cheered on by their families and friends, and there is still time to be part of it. 'We really appreciate the continuing support of the community and local companies to help us 'Raise the Roof' of Margaret Chadd house. Our own dragon boat team is not expecting to win but we look forward to taking part and seeing you all there!'
For further information and an entry form visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or call 01780 470718.