Labour group at Great Yarmouth Borough Council call for an end to austerity programme
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The Labour group at Great Yarmouth Borough Council is demanding the authority calls for an end to the government's austerity programme.
The group has tabled a motion for next Thursday's full council meeting of the Conservative-controlled council asking the authority to write to the prime minister and the borough's MP asking them to end austerity measures and give pay rises to vital public sector staff.
The motion says: 'Now that the Government has found a Magic Money Tree and agreed to give £1 Billion to the DUP.
'We call upon this council to write to the Prime Minister Theresa May MP and Brandon Lewis MP, demanding an immediate abandonment of the Austerity programme and a lifting of the maximum 1% pay cap on our vital Public Services.'
The meeting starts at 7pm and will also see business rates and commercial rents debts discussed.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 9 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 10 Do you recognise this man?