Kessingland charity leaders retire prompting renewed interest in skate park plan campaign
Campaigners battling to get a skate park for Kessingland, near Lowestoft, have been given a boost after the charity which has rebuffed their plans saw all of its executive committee members retire.
Today saw the five senior committee members of the Kessingland Sports and Social Club (KSSC) stand down from their roles at the group's annual meeting.
Chairman Valerie Burton is stepping down as she said Kessingland Parish Council wanted to impose its views on the way KSSC runs the Francis Road playing field, which is where campaigners hope a skate park can be set up.
The KSSC has the lease for the playing field and has turned down a request for a park to be created on the site, which is owned by the pro-skate park parish council.
KSSC members say the parish council has no right to ask for a representative to sit on its management committee, made up of groups who use the social club and its playing field.
You may also want to watch:
Today's decision clears the way for pro-park campaigners to advance their the plans as Alan Bagley, a staunch supporter of the calls for the new facilities for youngsters, was voted in as an interim chairman.
The meeting was adjourned so other people can put their names forward for the executive committee.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 5 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
Today's meeting heard the KSSC made more than �2,500 last year and had �16,700 of funds available.