Keep in Touch stalwarts in Harmony with community
- Credit: Archant
A Cromer social group for the over 60s has celebrated the birthdays of eight of its members, with tea, cake and music from local songsters Harmony at its base at the Cottage pub, in Louden Road.
The Keep in Touch (KIT) club, which meets on Fridays, is one of a number of schemes run by independent charity Age Concern North Norfolk with the aim of combating the problems of loneliness and isolation among older people.
As well as running computer clubs, outings, talks, quizzes and intergenerational projects, Age Concern North Norfolk, offers a bathing and laundry service at its Sheringham day centre, where members can also enjoy home cooked lunches, take part in social activities, and attend chiropody and hearing aid clinics.
KIT clubs are held weekly at Sheringham, North Walsham and Cromer, with the charity, which supports more than 200 people across the area, also running a befriending scheme pairing lonely or isolated older people up with volunteers who visit them in their own homes.
Cromer KIT club organiser Ann North-Graves, who celebrated her own 80th birthday a few weeks ago, said meetings, which are attended by up to 40 people, provided a chance to socialise and meet new people.
You may also want to watch:
'They are a wonderful bunch and I feel privileged to be among them,' she added. 'And, because so many of us have had birthdays recently, we wanted to celebrate as a way of showing that you can still be active and participate, no matter how old you are.'
To find out more about Age Concern North Norfolk services, visit www.ageconcernnorthnorfolk.co.uk or phone 01263 823126.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 7 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 8 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft