Join Holt’s Beatles ‘flashmob’ mass singalong and help the town’s youth project
- Credit: Archant
More than 800 students and staff from Gresham's school have invited everyone who lives, works, studies or plays in Holt to join them in a singing flash mob.
Holt High Street will be closed on March 22 to stage Holt's first ever Huge Howl where more than 1,000 people are expected to join in with a selection of Beatles classics near the war memorial.
It is the idea of Tom Appleton, music outreach director at Gresham's, who wants to bring the community together while raising money for Holt Youth Project.
Mr Appleton, a professional singer who tours with the Monteverdi choir, is a former pupil of Gresham's and re-joined the school in September.
He said: 'It will be a brilliant bonding experience for the town, I don't think anything like this has taken place before.
You may also want to watch:
'Whenever you first tell someone they wonder what on earth you are talking about, but then they realise it's actually a great community idea.'
And 50 years on from when 'Beatle-mania' was at its height, Mr Appleton has chosen three well-known songs its members were famous for.
- 1 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 2 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 5 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 Linnets turn down £100,000 bid for midfielder
- 8 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 9 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
The choir will sing Beatle classics Hey Jude, With a Little Help From My Friends, and Imagine by John Lennon.
Choir member Clementine Chapel, 13, of Great Snoring, said it was a great feeling singing with so many other people.
And prefect Izzy Thurston, of Kelling, said: 'I'm looking forward to meeting more people from the town, it should be a brilliant day.'
Holt High Street will be closed to traffic from 8am to 9am on March 22 while the street is filled with alfresco singers.
The school will be holding open rehearsals for all abilities in the upcoming week for anyone who wants to get some practice in before the flash mob.
They will be held on February 13 at 6.30pm in the Auden Theatre at Gresham's Senior School, February 27 from 5.30pm to 6.30pm at Gresham's Pre-Prep school hall, March 3 from 5.15pm to 6.15pm and March 13 from 6.30pm to 7.30pm in Gresham's Senior School chapel.
For more information and YouTube video links visit www.greshams.com/holtshugehowl
Have you got an interesting story about your town? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the newsline on 01263 512732.