Johnny Depp breaks his silence over Norwich bathtub rumours
- Credit: PA
It's a riddle that has bubbled away for well over a year.
Did film icon Johnny Depp really splash out on a £5,000 bathtub from a Norwich shop?
The star came clean about reports when interviewed by former UEA student Greg James on his BBC Radio One show this week.
And far from pulling the plug on the rumours, the Pirates of the Caribbean actor confirmed his purchase from Stiffkey Bathrooms, in Upper St Giles Street in 2014, which was reported in this newspaper at the time.
But he said he had since washed his hands of the antique, without stating what led him to his decision.
'We disposed of the thing and everything's fine,' said Mr Depp, whose latest film is Alice Through The Looking Glass.
You may also want to watch:
He apparently became a fan of the Norwich shop after seeing its taps on set at Pinewood Studios.
Mr Depp was filming Mortdecai, an American action comedy film, when props loaned to the studio by the bathroom shop caught his eye.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 3 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
The French Bateau bath on ornate feet dates back to 1880, and he reportedly had it shipped to America on the wishes of his wife Amber Heard.
The couple are now divorcing.
In the radio interview, Mr Depp was also quizzed about a number of other rumours.
Asked whether he was planning to move to Manchester he said he had never even visited before, and he laughed off rumours that he was spotted buying spatulas in Bath, Somerset.