John Hurt launches Sheringham Little Theatre cinema campaign
- Credit: Archant
Movie star John Hurt last night gave his blessing to a new film initiative by Sheringham Little Theatre.
The venue has revamped its cinema offering through a digital upgrade and launch of a series of film clubs - ranging from children's fun to late night horror.
Mr Hurt attended the VIP launch of its Spring into Cinema campaign which featured a screening of the critically acclaimed new film A Late Quartet.
The theatre hopes its clubs will also help the public shape future film programming choices.
He praised the theatre for its cinema venture saying: 'I wish something like this was around when I was young.'
You may also want to watch:
Clubs helped 'broaden people's understanding' of cinema, and it was unusual for them to be available outside of big cities.
The venue was offering 'big things in a little theatre' with its 'independent cinema by the people for the people' and it 'doesn't get much better than that,' he added.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 4 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 5 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 6 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
Mr Hurt, who lives near Cromer, earlier told the EDP he had just finished shooting a Dr Who 3D special in which he plays 'part of the Doctor' in a 'kind of trinity' which includes David Tennant.
He will spend most of the summer in Budapest playing the King of Thrace in a new Hercules epic action film alongside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson.
Sheringham Little Theatre film club showings this month also include The Shining, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Breakfast at Tiffanys, archive pictures of Norfolk picture houses, and a quiz. For details call 01263 822347 or visit www.sheringhamlittletheatre.com