Janice’s haircut will help Little Princess Trust cancer charity
A Norwich woman is preparing to lose her long locks for charity so she can donate her hair to make wigs for young cancer patients.
Janice McFadden, of Booty Road in Thorpe St Andrew, will have 50cm of hair cut off during an open day at the Big C cancer charity's base at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on October 20.
The 63-year-old will donate the off-cuts to Little Princess Trust, which provides wigs for young children who have suffered hair loss as a result of chemotherapy treatment.
The retired catering worker says she was inspired to make the charitable gift after seeing first-hand the effects of cancer on her own family.
Her brother-in-law Bill Henry died from the disease, while her sister Carol Henry recovered after undergoing treatment for breast cancer.
'I wanted to do it for the little girls,' she said. 'I had been walking through the city and I thought about having my hair cut, but I didn't want it wasted so me and my sister asked the lady at the Big C about it.
'I have not had my hair short like that for I don't know how long. I had it down to my waist before and it has been trimmed before, but this time I just left it. I will grow it again afterwards, and if it gets to the same length and I'm still able to do it, I will donate it again.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 3 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 6 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 7 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 10 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
nAlthough Janice's hair will be donated to the Little Princess Trust, she is also encouraging cash donations to the Big C Foundation. People can donate at the Open Day, or by calling Janice on 01603 474908.