Uplifting video shows entire hospital applaud for Covid-19 patient with all clear
- Credit: Archant
‘You can’t tell because of the PPE but we were all crying!’
“You can’t tell because of the PPE but we were all crying!”
Those were the words of a hospital nurse who was overwhelmed at the moment a coronavirus patient who had been given the all clear was applauded by doctors and nurses while leaving hospital.
The heartwarming footage, released by the James Paget University Hospital, in Gorleston, shows a patient wheeled out of her ward by a porter to the rapturous applause of hospital workers who oversaw her care.
Overwhelmed and holding back tears, the patient claps back to the hospital staff who are dressed head-to-toe in PPE, even reaching out to give high fives and embrace those who looked after her.
You may also want to watch:
As she leaves the hospital the patient covers her face in shock of the response as those nearby begin to cheer for her.
The patient’s daughter said she was so happy to see the video of her “amazingly strong mum coming home.”
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 9 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
Chair of the James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Anna Davidson, said: “This was wonderful to watch and shows the compassion and kindness of our people.”
A ward sister on one of the hospital’s short stay units added: “[This] brought a tear to my eye. Well done #teamssmu for the support given to this family at such an awful time and for giving such a lovely send off.”
Ali Bunn, a nurse at the hospital seen in the video, said: “You can’t tell because of the PPE but we were all crying!”