James Bolam to switch on Southwold Christmas lights
A former Likely Lad will be showing off new tricks when popular actor James Bolam turns on Southwold's Christmas lights on December 2.
Mr Bolam, who shot to fame with the Likely Lads and When the Boat Comes, will joined by his partner and actress Susan Jameson as he switches on the lights in the Market Place at 7pm.
The couple are now stars for a younger generation as they appear in the hit BBC children's programme Grandpa in my Pocket, parts of which are filmed in and around Southwold.
Organisers of the event, Switch on Southwold, are thrilled that they have landed Mr Bolam, who plays Grandpa in the childrens show, and his partner, who plays Aunt Loretta.
Sponsorship co-ordinator Sarah Green, who owns the Spots and Hightide shops in the town, said it was fantastic to have a celebrity who has a got a whole round appeal switching in Southwold's Christmas lights.
You may also want to watch:
The switch on night starts in the Market Square at 5pm with local choirs singing carols.
At 6.45pm the Southwold Corps of Drums will lead Father Christmas up the High Street and the switch on will then take place at 7pm on the Town Hall Balcony.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 7 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 8 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 9 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
- 10 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction