‘It was like pinball’ - five vehicles in Norwich petrol station crash

Five vehicles, including an ambulance, were involved in the five vehicle crash at Tesco Fiveways. Ph

Five vehicles, including an ambulance, were involved in the five vehicle crash at Tesco Fiveways. Photo: Tony Bradfield. - Credit: Archant

Emergency services were called after five vehicles, including an ambulance, were involved in a crash on a petrol station forecourt.

And today one of the drivers involved said it was 'like pinball' as cars were shunted into other vehicles.

Emergency services were called to the Tesco Express at Fiveways, in Earlham, at just before midday on Saturday.

Police said one car had crashed into three other cars, plus an ERS Medical ambulance, which was on the forecourt.

Tony Bradfield, from East Tuddenham, had just picked his daughter up from athletics practice when he turned his Kia Sportage into the petrol station to fill up.

He said: 'It was incredible. I was waiting when I noticed a car to my rear was looking to go to the left of the pumps nearest Earlham Road.

'But they suddenly reversed and went in an arc into Earlham Green Lane where they clipped a Yodel van, bumped up the kerb and came straight back into the petrol station.

Most Read

'My car was pushed out of the way and their car ended up pushing the ambulance practically onto the pump. I could see what was going to happen but there was nothing I could do about it. It was like pinball.

'The staff at the garage were really good - they came out an gave us all tea and coffee.'

A spokeswoman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust said: 'An ambulance, a rapid response vehicle and an ambulance officer attended and treated one patient with a neck injury, who was taken to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.'

ERS Medical, who own the ambulance involved in the crash, confirmed that there were no patients on board at the time but one crew member was taken to hospital.

The forecourt was closed and taped off while emergency services attended, with firefighters taking the precaution of checking there had been no damage to the pumps.

The forecourt had re-opened by 2.30pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter