“It was impossible to plan” - Magdalen Street Celebration 2017 cancelled
- Credit: Archant
Street celebrations will not be held at Magdalen Street this year as organisers of the event have cancelled their plans after seven consecutive years.
The Magdalen Street Celebration has been held in and around the flyover and Anglia Square since 2010, but with preparatory work underway for redevelopment of the square, and county council highways teams working around the flyover, the committee said it was 'too uncertain' to begin planning.
A date had been fixed for October 14, but treasurer of the Magdalen Street Celebration Committee, Stuart McLaren, said: 'It became clear over the last couple of months that it is going to be very, very difficult to stage it this year.
'If we can't rely on the fact it is going to be open and available to us in October we had no certainty and it was impossible to plan.'
A statement from the committee said: 'Regrettably, due to a combination of circumstances beyond our control we have concluded it will not be possible to run a safe and successful event this year.
You may also want to watch:
'At this point in time, the availability and accessibility of our two main stage areas cannot be guaranteed with the certainty essential to plan such a large public event. It is hoped next year we shall be in a better position to plan ahead with confidence.'
The committee are looking for volunteers who would be willing to help plan the celebration next year. Visit the Magdalen Street Celebration Facebook page to contact them.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 7 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 10 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000