Invitation to light church beacon in Downham Market
As The Queen celebrates her 90th birthday this year, Downham Market will mark the occasion on April 21 by lighting the beacon, which overlooks the town on the hill at St Edmund's Church. And a 90-year-old resident is being invited to officially light the flame.
The town council is inviting a 90-year-old resident – if possible, someone with the same birthday as Her Majesty – to be the person that officially lights the beacon's flame.
Town clerk Jean Markwell said: 'At the moment, we are specifically looking for a 90-year-old from Downham Market.
'It would be perfect if we could find someone who shares the same birthday as Her Majesty – but we do understand this could be quite rare for such a small town.'
She added: 'Please get in touch if you know someone who would like to participate – it is a lovely opportunity.'
The beacon at St Edmund's Church stands prominently on the hill of Church Road, outside the church. When lit, the flame can be seen across the town. Events are being organised across the country to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday.
A series of official Royal engagements will be held in May and June.
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 5 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 6 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 7 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 8 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 9 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
- 10 Liz Truss told £500,000 flight was 'grotesque misuse of taxpayers' money'
Among them, the Queen and Members of the Royal Family will attend a pageant celebrating her life at Home Park, in Windsor Castle, between May 12 and 15. If you, or someone you know, would like to light the beacon at St Edmund's Church, contact Downham Market Town Council on 01366 387770.
Are you organising a special event to mark the Queen's 90th birthday? Email firstname.lastname@example.org