Investigation launched after bus crashes into bus shelter in Norwich
- Credit: Daren Marjoram
First Bus has launched an investigation after one of their buses crashed into a bus shelter on Bowthorpe Road in Norwich.
The crash, involving bus travelling towards the city centre, happened near the junction with Gipsy Lane at approximately 1.15pm on Monday and caused the glass to shatter and damage to the structure.
Daren Marjoram, 50, of Bowthorpe, was on a bus travelling in the opposite direction to the 21 service and saw the crash unfold.
'As the bus I was on went past the bus it seemed like the driver tried to move out of the way of our bus to let it through and then hit the shelter,' he said.
'The bus then moved again and suddenly all of the glass shattered causing a really loud noise.
You may also want to watch:
'There were several people at the bus shelter and they all ran out of the way.'
A police officer came across the incident and Norfolk police confirmed that no other vehicles were hit in the crash and that passengers on the bus were transferred onto another service.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 10 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said an ambulance crew was passing the scene and pulled over to help. They put a call through to the critical incident team but it was decided that no other crews were needed. No-one was taken to hospital.
A First Bus spokesperson said: 'We can confirm that we were involved in a minor collision on Bowthorpe Road on Monday afternoon which resulted in some damage to a bus shelter.
'No-one was injured and we'd like to thank those customers for their patience whilst we managed the incident and apologise for any inconvenience or delay they incurred.
'We have launched a full investigation to establish exactly what happened.'