Investigation launched after bus crashes into bus shelter in Norwich
- Credit: Daren Marjoram
First Bus has launched an investigation after one of their buses crashed into a bus shelter on Bowthorpe Road in Norwich.
The crash, involving bus travelling towards the city centre, happened near the junction with Gipsy Lane at approximately 1.15pm on Monday and caused the glass to shatter and damage to the structure.
Daren Marjoram, 50, of Bowthorpe, was on a bus travelling in the opposite direction to the 21 service and saw the crash unfold.
'As the bus I was on went past the bus it seemed like the driver tried to move out of the way of our bus to let it through and then hit the shelter,' he said.
'The bus then moved again and suddenly all of the glass shattered causing a really loud noise.
You may also want to watch:
'There were several people at the bus shelter and they all ran out of the way.'
A police officer came across the incident and Norfolk police confirmed that no other vehicles were hit in the crash and that passengers on the bus were transferred onto another service.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 6 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 9 Plea for farmers to engage with public over footpath fears
- 10 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said an ambulance crew was passing the scene and pulled over to help. They put a call through to the critical incident team but it was decided that no other crews were needed. No-one was taken to hospital.
A First Bus spokesperson said: 'We can confirm that we were involved in a minor collision on Bowthorpe Road on Monday afternoon which resulted in some damage to a bus shelter.
'No-one was injured and we'd like to thank those customers for their patience whilst we managed the incident and apologise for any inconvenience or delay they incurred.
'We have launched a full investigation to establish exactly what happened.'