Inquest into death of woman at Whitlingham Lake, near Norwich

PUBLISHED: 09:49 22 August 2014 | UPDATED: 09:59 22 August 2014

Lisa Pollini, whose body was found at Whitlingham Lake on April 1

Lisa Pollini, whose body was found at Whitlingham Lake on April 1


A woman’s body was found in Whitlingham Lake, near Norwich, 14 days after she was discharged from a psychiatric hospital, an inquest heard.

Lisa Pollini, 47, was last seen on March 18 after being driven to her home in Lobelia Lane, Cringleford by a member of staff at Northgate Hospital in Great Yarmouth.

Yesterday’s Norwich inquest heard that her movements after that were unknown. The inquest heard that when Miss Pollini was discharged from the hospital, which is run by the Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust, she told staff that she would be supported by her family.

But the inquest heard that staff were unaware she had previously informed them she did not want her family to be involved in her care, so under confidentiality rules her family was not told of her discharge.

Staff were also unaware she had spoken on the phone while at the hospital to a friend, and had expressed suicidal thoughts.

The inquest also heard that concerns had also been raised that Miss Pollini’s GP, Dr Jocelyn Harwood had phoned the hospital with concerns about her welfare on March 13, requesting to be phoned back by her treating doctor, but had not been.

The inquest heard that the trust had carried out a serious incident investigation following Miss Pollini’s death and had subsequently introduced measures to address the concerns raised.

In a statement read to the court, Miss Pollini’s mother Gloria said her daughter had been in a disturbed state of mind since a break-up with her boyfriend in January and she had lost her job.

Dr Harwood said in a statement she first met Miss Pollini in 2008, and that she had a history of depression and attempted suicides.

In February, Dr Harwood referred Miss Pollini to the mental health trust.

Charge nurse Alex Linsay, in a statement, said that Miss Pollini had received daily visits from the mental health team in February, and had been voluntarily admitted as an informal patient to Northgate Hospital on March 8.

On that date she had expressed a plan to kill herself by jumping in the river. The following night she was found with a ligature round her neck.

The mental health team was told about Miss Pollini’s discharge from the hospital, and was requested to visit her at her home on a daily basis.

Mr Linsay attended her address at about 5pm on the day she was discharged, but she was not home.

A colleague returned at about 10.30pm and Mr Linsay returned the following morning. Miss Pollini was reported as a missing person on March 20.

In a narrative conclusion, Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake said there was no evidence of Miss Pollini’s movements after March 18, and it was unknown how her body ended up in the lake. Miss Pollini’s body was found at about 11.35am on April 1 by a walker, Colin Smith, who called the police. Miss Pollini’s door key was found on her body.

A post mortem examination was carried out but the cause of death remains unascertained.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists