Impress your friends with our Wimbledon tasting dessert
- Credit: Archant
Strawberries, meringue, ice cream and white chocolate feature in our tempting Wimbledon themed dessert - ideal to serve up for the finals this weekend!
The sound of my childhood summers wasn't birds tweeting, bumblebees buzzing, or even seagulls hawking overhead. Nope summer for me growing up was marked by my mum shouting 'Tim, Tim! Come on Tim!' Wimbledon was a big thing in our house. It still is, although mum refuses to support Murray ''cause he looks miserable!'
In homage to the game, I came up with this beauty of a dessert, which for me is summer on a plate.
Wimbledon taster plate
You may also want to watch:
(serves four to six - start the day before you want to eat it)
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 8 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 9 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 10 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
White chocolate and clotted cream gelato: 4 egg yolks, 600ml clotted cream, 150g white chocolate, 75g caster sugar
Rosewater meringue: 4 egg whites, 400g caster sugar, 1tsp cider vinegar, 1/2tsp rosewater
Strawberry jelly: 400g hulled strawberries, 1tbsp sugar, 4 leaves gelatine
Balsamic strawberries: 200g strawberries, 1tbsp each balsamic vinegar and caster sugar
Baked white chocolate: 100g white chocolate cut into 1cm pieces
Whisk the egg whites and half the sugar until stiff. Fold in the remaining sugar, vinegar and rosewater. Pipe into 10cm rounds onto a covered tray and bake for 1.5 hours at 120C. Cool then break into pieces. Make the jelly. Blitz the berries with the sugar. Sieve. Weigh and top up to 400ml with cold water. Simmer in a pan. Soak the gelatine in cold water for 10 minutes. Squeeze out and add to the strawberry juice. Stir to melt then pour into small moulds or a lined 20cmsq tray and set in the fridge. Make the baked chocolate. Bake on a tray at 160C for about two hours until golden.
Make the ice cream. Warm the cream in a pan. Whisk the yolks with the sugar. Pour over the warmed cream and whisk. Wash the pan and pour the mix back in. Add the white chocolate and stir on a low heat until thick. Chill for 30 minutes then churn in an ice cream machine, or freeze in a tub, mixing every 30 minutes.
Chop the strawberries for the balsamic strawberries roughly, add the balsamic and sugar and set aside for 30 minutes.
To serve randomly spoon each element onto a large plate, allowing one scoop gelato per person.