Hundreds of pounds raised for Excel Appeal after slimming consultant and pensioner complete cycling challenge
- Credit: Archant
A slimming consultant and pensioner have raised more than £550 for a hospital's fundraising appeal after completing a sponsored cycle ride.
Sabrina Barrow, 22, a consultant with Slimming World, and Robin Rye, 71, of Blackborough End, pedalled their way through 22 miles of Norfolk countryside to raise money for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn's Excel Appeal.
The appeal, which was launched in October last year and is supported by the EDP, aims to raise £50,000 for specialist care equipment which would improve the treatment and comfort of elderly people in hospital.
Miss Barrow and Mr Rye started their journey at the hospital, and cycled through West Norfolk villages including Bawsey, Leziate, Middleton, Blackborough End, Wormegay, and Tottenhill, before turning back to end their session back at the hospital.
It took the pair around three hours to complete their journey.
You may also want to watch:
They were met at the hospital by its fundraising executive Laurence Morlaas.
Speaking after the ride Miss Barrow said: 'Robin showed me up, he was miles ahead of me.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 7 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 8 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 9 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
'I wouldn't have been able to do it without him. He kept me going as I am not as fit as he is.'
Mr Rye, who is a client of Miss Barrow at Slimming World and has lost nearly four pounds since starting his slimming programme, said: 'I decided to support her cycle ride because it is a worthy cause.
'I have had some elderly relations who have used the hospital and I may need to use the specialist equipment one day myself.'
Slimming World groups across West Norfolk have chosen the Excel Appeal as their main charity throughout 2016.
To donate to the appeal visit www.justgiving.com/qehkl-excelappeal, or fill in the coupon (right) or pay by cheque: payable to 'Excel Appeal' and send to Laurence Morlaàs, fundraising executive, QEH, Gayton Road, King's Lynn PE30 4ET.
Are you fundraising for the Excel Appeal? Email firstname.lastname@example.org