Holkham Park provides beautiful setting for run
- Credit: Ian Burt
The beautiful surroundings of one of north Norfolk's most attractive country estates was again the backdrop for an annual charity run.
Forty-six people of all ages took part in 10km, 5km or 1km runs in yesterday's event at Holkham Park. It raised funds for Heritage House in Wells, which is a day care centre where elderly and frail people come to socialise and have a home-cooked meal.
Day care manager Mary Britton said: 'We are a small but perfectly formed run.
'We hold the event every first Sunday in October, with the kind permission of Holkham, and this was the fifth one. It's a lovely run around the lake at Holkham Park.
'We are very grateful for the same people turning out every year, and we hope to see them back again next October. We have not counted the money raised yet. We use the funds to help subsidise our self-funders.
'If we can support people it allows them to stay at home and out of hospitals for longer.
'That is what everybody wants. If they come in and have a hot meal with us, it means they don't have to cook at home.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 7 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 8 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 9 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 10 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
'Some people don't see anybody unless they come to us.'
Looking ahead, she said that some of the runners had already enrolled in its 'Dash and Dip' event on New Year's Day in Wells.
Heritage House is open daily, except weekends, and helps up to 90 different people each week.
? Have you organised an event for charity? Email email@example.com