Holidaymaker in a critical condition following a fight at Pontins in Pakefield
- Credit: Archant
Investigations are under way by the police watchdog, Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), after a man arrested on suspicion of assault was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Officers from Suffolk Police were called at around 11.45pm on Tuesday, February 14, to reports of an altercation at Pontins holiday park in Pakefield near Lowestoft.
Upon arrival officers found a man in his late 30s, believed to be from Colchester, had been detained by staff on the site.
The man was arrested on suspicion of assault.
However, as he was being transported to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre, in a marked police van, he became unwell.
You may also want to watch:
As a result he was then taken to the James Paget University Hospital, in Gorleston, where he remains in a critical condition.
As is standard procedure in cases of this nature, the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 7 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 8 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 9 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 10 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
A spokesman from the IPCC said investigators arrived at the scene Wednesday afternoon and were currently at the scene speaking to witnesses and staff from Pontins as well as gathering CCTV footage,
Do you have a Lowestoft story? Contact reporter Simon Ward by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01502 525832