Holidaymaker in a critical condition following a fight at Pontins in Pakefield
- Credit: Archant
Investigations are under way by the police watchdog, Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), after a man arrested on suspicion of assault was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Officers from Suffolk Police were called at around 11.45pm on Tuesday, February 14, to reports of an altercation at Pontins holiday park in Pakefield near Lowestoft.
Upon arrival officers found a man in his late 30s, believed to be from Colchester, had been detained by staff on the site.
The man was arrested on suspicion of assault.
However, as he was being transported to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre, in a marked police van, he became unwell.
You may also want to watch:
As a result he was then taken to the James Paget University Hospital, in Gorleston, where he remains in a critical condition.
As is standard procedure in cases of this nature, the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
A spokesman from the IPCC said investigators arrived at the scene Wednesday afternoon and were currently at the scene speaking to witnesses and staff from Pontins as well as gathering CCTV footage,
Do you have a Lowestoft story? Contact reporter Simon Ward by emailing email@example.com or calling 01502 525832