Family who lost everything in Walpole house fire speak of their shock and sadness
- Credit: Archant
A family have spoken of their shock and sadness after losing their home of 34 years to a devastating fire.
At around 5.15pm on Tuesday, a blaze ripped through three terraced houses in Sutton Road, Walpole Cross Keys.One property was completely destroyed in the fire, while the other two sustained significant water and smoke damage.
Sandra Hodgson, 56, and her husband Ian, 55, lived in the middle property and lost everything in the fire, a home they have lived in since 1984.
They were at their workshop, Hodgsons Forge, in Wesley Road, Terrington St Clement, when they received a call from their neighbour.
'She called me around 5.20pm and said there was smoke coming out of the downstairs window of my neighbour's house.' Mrs Hodgson said. 'I came round the corner and thought someone was having a bonfire. All I thought was I needed to get my dogs out.'
Firefighters were able to save the dogs - Harvey, Milly and Bonnie - but were unable to reach Mrs Hodgon's tortoises Rosie and Jim.
You may also want to watch:
But the fire investigation team returned to the scene this morning at around 9.30am and were able to rescue Rosie and Jim, who were both alive and well.
'They were in the vivarium hibernating, I went in to get them but it was so smokey I couldn't get to them,' Mrs Hodgson said.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 9 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
'Ian got the dogs out, it was very fortunate that they were in the conservatory and not in the living room. I thought if Rosie and Jim had died then at least it was in their sleep.'
The couple had to spend the night in their workshop.
Mrs Hodgson said: 'I don't know how I feel. I'm a bit numb, not taking it in. The downstairs is ruined, all water and smoke.
'But everyone is all right, that is the most important thing.'
Daughter Sarah Hodgson, 27, who lives in King's Lynn, said: 'My childhood bedroom is gone, we have been in this house since I was born.
'But it is just stuff, isn't it? Everybody is safe and alive and that is the main thing, everything else can be replaced over time.'