Hilgay Raft Race postponed as field completely waterlogged
Take part in a raft race and you expect to get wet - but the organisers of a west Norfolk event have been forced to postpone theirs because the field for the stalls is completely waterlogged.
Rather than on Sunday, Hilgay's annual raft race will now take place on August 21 to allow time for the grass next to the River Wissey to dry out.
Howard Phillips, from the organisers Downham Market Rotary Club, said: 'The bad weather of late combined with the high river levels means we simply couldn't hold the event this week. So we have a new date – August 21 – and we're hoping the field for the stalls and activities will be much drier by then.'
A key fundraiser every year in the area, rafters are getting set to once again race along the River Wissey in their homemade rafts for charity.
This year's event is in aid of the Norfolk-based children's bereavement charity Nelson's Journey as well as Sue Ryder.
The fun will begin in Hilgay, near Downham Market, from 1pm.
Other highlights include the duck race and an inner tube swimming race.
- 1 The homeless newlyweds who have lived in their car for a year
- 2 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 3 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 4 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 5 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 6 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 7 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 8 Solar farm approved despite concerns over impact on neighbours
- 9 Yarmouth market's pea and pie stall holder to retire
- 10 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
The banks of the River Wissey will be packed with food and refreshment stalls on the afternoon.
Entry will be £1; concessions and under 12s are free.
Further information and race entry forms are available from Dent's Butchers in Hilgay. Call 01366 387686.
Are you organising a summer fundraising event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org