Heroin and cocaine found in system of man who died following Costessey police stand-off

Kamal Nour died during the 14 hour siege in Queen's Hill. Photo: Steve Adams

Kamal Nour died during the 14 hour siege in Queen's Hill. Photo: Steve Adams - Credit: Archant

An inquest heard today that a man who died following a police stand-off had heroin and cocaine in his system.

Urine samples taken from the body of Kamal Nour indicated he had taken the drugs 'within a day' of his death.

The 40-year-old was found dead by police at his Quarry Road flat in Costessey on August 14, 2014 after barricading himself inside.

During the fourth day of an inquest into his death today, Norfolk Coroner's Court heard evidence from his GP and a toxicology report.

Dr Hardiman, from Roundwell Medical Centre in Costessey, said Mr Nour had a history of anxiety, depression and intravenous drug misuse.

But the inquest heard that during a consultation in July 2014, Mr Nour had told the GP that he was no longer using drugs.

'He stated he had no intention of harming himself and he seemed pleased that he had come off illicit drugs,' Dr Hardiman said.

Most Read

'He said he had an ongoing low mood and described staying in his flat all day, only going out to go shopping.'

Toxicology tests carried out after his death revealed Mr Nour had a variety of prescription drugs in his system, along with heroin and cocaine.

He had been on various medications, including anti-depressants and anti-coagulants to treat deep vein thrombosis.

The inquest heard that Mr Nour had asked police to collect his prescription from his GP during the 14-hour stand-off at his home.

While officers did pick it up, they refused to allow him to take it without the supervision of a paramedic.

They also sought advice from Dr Hardiman about the risks of not providing Mr Nour with his medication.

He said: 'I reviewed Mr Nour's medication on the system and said their would be no immediate life-threatening effects.'

When officers eventually forced entry into Mr Nour's flat he had hanged himself.

The inquest is due to continue until Monday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter