Government must fund sea defences for Hemsby says council chairman
- Credit: Nick Butcher
We want you to act now!
That is the message from the chairman of Hemsby Parish Council who fears other homes could succumb to the power of Mother Nature.
Keith Kyriacou said he fears further massive erosion could put another 100 homes at risk in the future if the government does not step in and fund sea defences for his village.
'Where are they? Where is the government? We have been crying out for years now. Our message just does not seem to be getting through. We need sea defences.
'Why can't the government spend the money on our village? How many more homes will we lose?'
Mr Kyriacou's plea comes as it is reported that Great Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis is set to visit Hemsby on Friday.
He told the BBC: 'We have got to carry on the work with the parish council and the Save Hemsby action group to get the security of coastal protection.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 7 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 10 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
'It's finding a scheme that will work that can be approved - we haven't quite got there yet.'