Hemsby pub gets paw of approval for its tail-wagging welcome to dogs
- Credit: James Bass
A seaside pub has been handed a prestigious national award for its dedication to dogs.
The Lacon Arms in Hemsby was named the most dog-friendly pub in the Kennel Club's Be Dog Friendly Awards after being tipped for the accolade by visitors and customers.
The competition is based solely on public vote and aims to break down barriers for man's best friend by encouraging more businesses to adopt a dog friendly policy.
Nominations poured in from all over the country for the most welcoming dog friendly businesses, towns, and public places - and staff at the Lacon Arms are delighted to have been given the paw of approval.
Landlady Lorna Bevan Thompson said: 'We bought the pub nearly six years ago and have always been both dog and family friendly.
You may also want to watch:
'Hemsby is a unique family resort with many families returning year after year, and dogs are just as big as part of families as the children.
'We allow dogs on leads into our pub and also into our play garden. Dogs are very important to family life and we like to welcome them here. Sometimes we have more dogs than people!
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 3 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 'Life begins at 70' says former TV star as she releases her new novel
- 8 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 9 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 10 Farke on his contract situation at City
'We also have a pub dog named Zuri, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and she is very popular with our customers.'
Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, added: 'We are so pleased for the Lacon Arms. It is great the pub is being so proactive in helping us break down barriers for our four-legged friends.
'The Lacon Arms is a wonderful example of the many businesses and public places that have already adopted a dog-friendly policy and are reaping the benefits of welcoming dogs.'
Other categories included best dog-friendly beach, cafe, hotel, high street and town. All the winners were presented with their awards at the Kennel Club's Discover Dogs event at Earls Court in London on Sunday.