School given award for focus on the environment
- Credit: Heartwood Primary
A Norfolk primary school has been given an award praising its commitment to the environment.
Heartwood CE VC Primary and Nursery School in Swaffham has been given the Green Flag award, a scheme run by Eco-Schools.
The programme encourages and empowers children of all ages to make a difference through environmental changes.
In September 2020, Christine Dye set up the Heartwood Heroes Eco-Schools programme.
She said: "This project has been a huge success and as a result, Heartwood was awarded the green flag at the end of March, which now flies proudly outside the school.
"But the Heartwood Heroes work is not done. The Eco-schools framework has now been embedded into the heart of school life, and the heroes continue to lead the way for positive environmental change."
You may also want to watch:
At the moment, the children are focusing on the use of transport and the school is encouraging more children to walk or cycle to school.
Other issues they are looking at include litter, the importance of recycling and controlling how much energy is used.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 4 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 5 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 6 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 7 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 8 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 9 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 10 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers