Teenage cyclist who was hit by a car is home after five weeks in Addenbrooke’s hospital
- Credit: Archant
A teenager is back home after spending nearly five weeks at Addenbrooke's, in Cambridge, after being hit by a car.
Jordan Dowen, 15, was cycling to Smithdon High School, in Hunstanton, at about 8.45am on December 18, when he was struck by a car, suffering serious head injuries.
He was in a coma over Christmas, but started making improvements, and was discharged last week.
His mother, Joanne, said on Twitter: 'He was asking to go home as soon as he was able to make me understand his words.
'Originally, we didn't expect to be discharged until well into February.
You may also want to watch:
'Jordan is on his feet now and working on independent walking, albeit with an elbow crutch to steady him.
'He has a wheelchair for longer distance, as his balance and co-ordination are a work in progress.
- 1 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 2 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 3 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 4 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 5 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 8 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
'We had our first meal as a complete family in our own home and you really can't put a price on that feeling.'
Mrs Dowen said her son's brain injury 'may mean he does some things differently or sounds different to the way he did before'.
The teenager lives in Hunstanton and plays for West Norfolk Rugby Club's under 16s. He was given a signed Northampton Saints shirt before his discharge, which his mother said put a 'huge smile' on his face.
Do you have a message for Jordan? Email firstname.lastname@example.org Witnesses to the crash should call PC Michael Edwards on 101.