Sex abuse charity needs fundraising help to meet future demand
- Credit: Archant
A charity which supports children and teenagers who have experienced sexual abuse is appealing for help with fundraising.
Fresh Start – New Beginnings has been running its services for around four years in Norfolk, Suffolk, and North Essex since being launched by founder Diana Porter, who started the charity using £6,000 of her own redundancy money.
It provides one-to-one support to children, who are seen by experts such as psychologists and child support workers. Last year around 250 youngsters were referred to the charity, but with more than 70,000 child sex abuse cases being reported nationally, staff believe the demand for services is growing.
Patsy Johnson-Cisse, fundraising manager at the charity, said: 'Through our therapeutic work with the children we help them change from victims to survivors.
'It's really good to see how they first come to us and then six to eight weeks later they become the young adults they should be.'
You may also want to watch:
The charity works with the police, from whom many of the children are referred. Some are as young as 18 months.
One of the fundraising campaigns the charity is running is a 'car park karaoke' in which people record themselves singing to a song on the radio in a stationary vehicle, and post it online and nominate friends to do the same, donating £5 in the process.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 4 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 8 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 9 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 10 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
To donate to the charity or for more information contact Patsy Johnson on 01473 353355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you got a charity story? Email email@example.com