Norwich City loan export tests positive for coronavirus
- Credit: James Wilson/Focus Images Ltd
A Norwich City player has tested positive for coronavirus, it has been confirmed.
Defender Sean Raggett, who is currently out on loan at Portsmouth, has tested positive for Covid-19, the League One club has confirmed.
A statement posted on its website revealed that on-loan Raggett was one of three players at the club to have received positive test results for the virus.
It says: “Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that three players have tested positive for coronavirus.
“The second batch of results received by the club last night (March 20) showed that James Bolton, Andy Cannon and Sean Raggett all have the virus.
You may also want to watch:
“They are self-isolating in accordance with government guidelines and will continue to follow medical advice.”
Posting on Twitter about the situation, the defender said: “Thank you for people’s concerns I’m feeling good now but self isolating so not to spread anything, if anyone’s come into contact with me over last couple of weeks be careful who you are around, stay safe.”
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Mark Catlin, Portsmouth’s chief executive, said: “I received the news last night and immediately spoke to Kenny [Jackett, club manager] and head physio Bobby Bacic. Kenny and I then spoke to all three players.
“Football is not immune from this virus and I can assure you that it only really hits home when those that you know contract it.
“All three players were in good spirits and perfectly calm - showing mild or no symptoms - and are looking forward to overcoming it as quickly as possible.”
Former City star James Maddison, now of Leicester City, was among those to send messages of support to the 26-year-old over social media, writing: “Hope you’re ok, bro.”
A statement posted on Norwich City Football Club’s website says: “Norwich City Football Club can confirm that defender Sean Raggett, currently on loan at Sky Bet League One side Portsmouth, has tested positive for coronavirus.
“In line with government guidance and after consultation between the club’s respective medical departments, Raggett, along with two of his other Portsmouth teammates who have also tested positive, is now self-isolating.
“Raggett has spent the entirety of the 2019-20 season on loan at Portsmouth. He is not believed to have come into contact with any Norwich City players or staff over the recent period.”