Norwich man gets his life back after losing more than 15 stone
- Credit: Lee Coolahan
A Norwich slimmer is celebrating after losing half his body weight - and will soon be walking down the aisle.
Lee Coolahan, 37, of Trafford Road, hit the headlines in July 2015 when he won a place in the Slimming World National Man of The Year competition, having lost 15st 10lb.
Mr Coolahan has now gone on to lose a total of 16st 11lb, he said: 'I'm now half the man I used to be - my 'other half' is now my girlfriend.'
He joined Slimming World in 2014 with the task of losing half his weight to give himself the life he really wanted.
From a childhood of being bullied at school to shopping exclusively on plus sized websites for clothes as an adult, Mr Coolahan was part of the 60pc of the population that is classed as overweight or obese.
You may also want to watch:
Supported by his consultant, Claire Utting, who runs the Magdalen Road and Thorpe End groups, Mr Coolahan followed the Slimming World diet and became nicknamed 'Masterchef' for his meals that saw him regularly losing 3 to 4lb a week.
By the time Mr Coolahan won his place in the national Man Of The Year competition he had already given himself a fulfilling life.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
He had a successful career and he had become an avid sportsman taking part in Run Norwich 10k, as well as his regular golf and squash sessions. But he was still searching for the one. That is when he met Jess Cranthorne.
'I met Jess not long after the Man Of The Year competition, she's been so supportive and has really encouraged me to keep going. She says it was a Friday evening when I cooked my Slimming World cauliflower pizza, chargrilled chicken and loaded potato skins that won her over.
'We got engaged in July this year – two years after the competition – the date is set for next June.
'After the group, Claire, sent me a congratulatory card where she referred back to my wanting a life, not an existence – this couldn't be more true and importantly getting engaged and thinking of the future has made me realise that I've not only made this change for myself but for my future family too.'
For further information about joining Slimming World contact Claire Utting on 07769 340036 for her classes every Thursday 9.30am – Christchurch Centre, Magdalen Road and Fridays 9.30am, 11.30am & 1.30pm, Village Hall, Plumstead Road, Thorpe End