Norwich cancer patient raises £12,000 to say thanks to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
- Credit: Archant
A patient who says her life was saved by staff at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has thanked those who treated her by raising more than £12,000.
Emma Bussey, 47, of Constable Road, Norwich, was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in October 2012.
During and after treatment she raised money for patient monitoring equipment at the N&N's Gissing Ward, where she was a patient.
She has managed to raise £12,025 during the last 18 months by organising a number of activities.
Mrs Bussey said: 'Having cancer was a horrible chapter in my life and I need to bring that chapter to an end.
You may also want to watch:
'I started raising funds because I wanted to say 'thank you' to the people who saved my life and to the hospital.'
She said raising money gave her 'another focus than my illness and it gave people around me a focus for their support.'
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
'I shall be eternally grateful to the hospital,' she said.
Part of the money was raised by organising a number of quizzes, singing events, gifts in lieu of birthday presents, two coffee mornings, and a pop-up cafe for cyclists.
Mr Ed Cheong, consultant laparoscopic and oesophago-gastric surgeon at the N&N, said: 'It is a huge amount of money which will make a great difference to the people we treat with the same cancer as Emma's.
'Each machine costs £3,000 so this will make a great addition. It will also go towards oesophageal cancer research.'
If you want support the hospital charity please call Louise Cook on 01603 287107 or email email@example.com
Are you attempting to raise money for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org