Jack’s fundraising while fighting cancer
- Credit: Town 102
Like many 18-year-olds, Jack Cook is a keen sports fan. But unlike many of his peers, he has spent most of the past four years fighting cancer.
Jack, from Stradbroke, near Diss, was first diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia after feeling ill on holiday in Florida in July 2010. He was taken by air ambulance to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.
After three years of treatment and long periods away from school, still managing to sit his GCSEs, he was given the all-clear.
He signed up to join the Ipswich Big Fun Run with his friend Lewis Whatling to raise money for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, but his cancer returned in June, and he underwent intense treatment.
Jack still took part in the run last month. He walked one mile and was pushed in a wheelchair around the course.
You may also want to watch:
So far, he has raised more than £700.
His mother, Wendy Cook, is delighted with the support her son has received.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 4 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 5 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 6 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 7 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 8 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 9 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 10 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
She said: 'The money raised means a lot to him and a lot to me. As well as raising money he wants to raise awareness.'
The horticulture student at Otley College, who aspires to be a groundsman, will have bone marrow treatment this month.
Ms Cook said: 'Life was just getting back to normal. He was at college, taking driving lessons and playing sports.
'He'll be in isolation for about a month in hospital. It's very hard, but he is looking forward to some serious sports watching.'
To sponsor Jack, visit https://www.justgiving.com/jackcook99
Are you raising money for charity? Email email@example.com