Group promotes social cycling, with coffee, cake and sightseeing, for women at Holt
- Credit: Archant
When retired nurse Angela Mason moved to Holt six years ago, she had difficulty meeting people who shared her lifelong love of cycling.
So, keen to rekindle her passion for pedal power, she has set up a women's cycling group aimed at touring the north Norfolk countryside at a leisurely pace, with regular stops for coffee, cake and sightseeing.
'Cycle groups often tend to be male-dominated and competitive,' she explained. 'So the idea was just to enjoy the companionable side of cycling, and to show that all you need is a waterproof coat and a bike with working brakes and pumped up tyres to get started.'
Ms Mason, 61, enjoyed a 30-year career as a nurse, ending up at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital at Kings Lynn, before moving to Holt to work as a gardener.
She was a founder member of the Kings Lynn and West Norfolk Bicycle Users Group, also cycling with two other local groups and regularly taking cycling holidays in the UK and abroad.
You may also want to watch:
'I am very confident in finding my way around by bike – and in repairing the odd puncture – and I want to show other women that cycling is a great way of making friends, at the same time as getting a bit of good exercise,' Ms Mason said.
The cycle group, which was launched three months ago, now has 10 members, who meet up once a week in Holt town centre before setting off on a three or four-hour bike ride.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
'We don't always cover a huge distance as we end up stopping quite a bit to talk and look at the view, but we always have a lovely day out and everyone enjoys it tremendously,' Ms Mason said.
Anyone interested in joining the Holt cycle group can contact Angela Mason on 01263 711324.