Care home helps Gill, 83, reignite passion for horses
- Credit: Kingsley Healthcare
An 83-year-old care home resident's wish came true as she was given the chance to reignite her passion for horses.
Gill Martinez grew up with a love for horse riding during the era of clothes rationing - which made buying jodhpurs and riding boots difficult.
Although dementia has cruelly taken away so many of her memories, she still spends hours gazing at horses in adjoining fields from her window at Thorp House nursing home in Griston, near Watton.
And, thanks to the home's wishing tree initiative, Mrs Martinez was treated to a trip to Eden Meadows Riding Centre, in Attleborough.
Before the coronavirus pandemic, she was able to tour the yard and visit the stables where she groomed a horse named Charlie.
You may also want to watch:
Her son, Paul Martinez, said: "It was lovely to see mum so happy doing something she loved from her childhood.
“We were so grateful that Thorp House helped her reconnect with nature, something that has been a big part of her life.”
- 1 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 2 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 5 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 6 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 7 Eight pints pulled in first three minutes as pub's 'happy hour' returns
- 8 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 9 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 10 Boss says sorry for fake worker's 'vile' comments about Prince Philip