Care home helps Gill, 83, reignite passion for horses
- Credit: Kingsley Healthcare
An 83-year-old care home resident's wish came true as she was given the chance to reignite her passion for horses.
Gill Martinez grew up with a love for horse riding during the era of clothes rationing - which made buying jodhpurs and riding boots difficult.
Although dementia has cruelly taken away so many of her memories, she still spends hours gazing at horses in adjoining fields from her window at Thorp House nursing home in Griston, near Watton.
And, thanks to the home's wishing tree initiative, Mrs Martinez was treated to a trip to Eden Meadows Riding Centre, in Attleborough.
Before the coronavirus pandemic, she was able to tour the yard and visit the stables where she groomed a horse named Charlie.
You may also want to watch:
Her son, Paul Martinez, said: "It was lovely to see mum so happy doing something she loved from her childhood.
“We were so grateful that Thorp House helped her reconnect with nature, something that has been a big part of her life.”
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 5 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 6 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 7 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 8 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 9 Man seriously injured after crash
- 10 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed